A Feeling Called 'Tiger'

I’ve felt it far more often than I’ve seen it.
In the rustle of the leaves it’s resident, and the thunder over the distant hills brings its euphony. The inchoate buds issue its fragrance, and the sway of the windswept grass talks of its silent jaunt.
On the loneliest of days has its gentle warmth enwrapped me, and on the longest of nights has it kept me awake wolfing on its moreish dreams or floating on its soothing waves towards the shores of passion.
In the exalted promenades of the secretive trees have I often sauntered after its footmarks in the wind, guided on by invisible stars in the sky azure and white. Often have the ragged rocks of the winding hills borne my weight in its winsome wake.
It has come to me when I stood by the gurgling river on the banks of which a thousand epitaphs stand erect, and in the shadows where it creeps silently into the soul.
It has come to me in the wind that brings the adrift leaves in spring, on the shimmer of the shiny rocks that blaze in the summer sun, and the chill of the winter air that reaches the bones.
It reeks from the stygian caves where bats dwell in blackness, and the fig trees from which well-fed parakeets depart raucously.
And often with tearful eyes and many a tingle in my fingers have I beheld its enormous marvel, sometimes from the heights of the lofty cliffs where vultures soar, and the spiritous depths of Jacob's Creek.
I have stood beneath the long-leaved tree dropping her mahua and sought its meaning from the sands of time. When it has cleaved the abyss of my heart with brilliant rays of light even as shards of broken dreams lay scattered at my feet, I have asked questions in the boudoir of my mind.
I have asked the moss-covered lake and the banyan tree by the lonesome bight where the hushed swish of hornbills pips the fragile silence.
But it has never shed its silence while its taste lingers unabated.
Instead, it has weakened my knees and strengthened my resolve, humbled my pride and enhanced my esteem, made me live and made me die.
Blessed are the men who’ve escaped the throes of this inexorable charm. But also how cursed they are, for they know not the joy of the feeling that goes beyond the blight.
A feeling called ‘tiger’.

0 Comment "A Feeling Called 'Tiger'"

Post a Comment